Something to Do in a Traffic Jam
Traffic jams can drain your energy. You have to keep your eyes open because traffic does move, albeit at a crawl.
Since you have to stay alert to go the few inches each burst of movement brings, try this pseudo-meditation exercise the next time you are caught in traffic – or at a red light.
- Keep your eyes open so you are aware of your surroundings.
- Take a very deep breath through your nose.
- Exhale through your mouth.
- Pause a few seconds.
- Repeat a few times – stop before you feel light headed 🙂
You will likely notice two things happen:
- You will become more alert. By infusing more oxygen into your body, your brain activates more neurons. According to physician Dr. Zeischegg, the brain consumes 20% of the oxygen we breathe. The extra oxygen gives us more energy. Be careful not to over do it – you’ll feel light headed and you won’t want that to happen in traffic.
- You will feel more calm. Deep breaths are thought to activate the vagus nerve, which reduces your blood pressure, heart rate and has other physiologically calming effects.
It is short of meditating and results in a relaxed, awake disposition that can help you through a jam.